Monday, 1 September 2008

A Real Bargain - Kerching!

During my bus journey, I noticed a sign in front of a 99 pence store that was offering 10% discount for every £100 spent.

Let me just do some mental arithmetic here. Please bear with me as maths isn't my strong point. It actually took me three attempts to pass my Maths GCE O'Level exams. So if someone spends £100 at the 99 p store, you end up with 101 items with a penny change. Kerching!

Who in their right mind would want to buy 101 items, which is mostly junk anyway?

OK, let's say someone decides to buy 101 goods and he is now entitled to his £10 discount. Kerching! Chances are the store isn't going to give him the £10 in cash but in vouchers, which means he can pick up 10 more items. Assuming my mental arithmetic is spot on, he has now accumulated a grand total of 111 items with 11 p change. Kerching!

The next question is where to store all of these 111 items? Possibly in the garage or in the attic.

When he's bored with his acquisition, he ends up having a garage sale to offload his junk to some unsuspecting victims. Better still, he can get rid of them on Ebay. There's bound to be someone who is willing to pay £100 for a 99 pence item. Come to think of it, it's not such a bad idea after all. There's a lot of money to be made from this deal. Kerching!

It's time to go shopping.

Kerching!

Enocia

Related article: Waging the Penny War